CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

February 11, 2010

on coaching...

Those who can't (anymore), teach? That's what people say, right? I was a gymnast for 11 years, competing for 5 of them. At the ripe old age of 17 I retired. Eleven years later gymnastics is still a rewarding part of my life though it's had many faces. I have taught at summer camp, taught after school programs, coached competitive gymnastics in PA for 3 years, and now coach recreational classes as well as girls who compete in Indiana.
I LOVE gymnastics. I love that I can still do a round-off back handspring(much to the dismay of all my girls...and my boss:) and that I can still climb up on a balance beam to do my old high school routine. And though I'd love to be physically capable of doing all the things I could do so many years ago gymnastics bringing a different satisfaction than it used it. There are days when my girls drive me up a wall...but there are nights like tonight that things just click.
I went to practice tonight frustrated about life and wishing I could unhurt people I have hurt. I listened to the song Brand New Day on repeat all the way to the gym and I decided when I walked in the door that it would be a great night. IT WAS! Though the girls were not angels by any means, they allowed me to focus my energy on helping them get better. I am trying so hard to praise the good they do and gentlly explain how to get better. One of the girls inparticular takes correction pretty hard. In our last 5 minutes we worked through a bar skill she's been struggling with. I cannot express how proud of her I still am. She got something she felt so defeated by and really all it took was a lot of praise and encouragment. She left the gym with a huge grin on her face tonight...and so did I.
I have said many times before that my passion is helping people grow...my girls are so small and young but they are growing...and the reward I feel for being part of that growth far exceeds the reward of do a backhandspring!

0 comments: